Eighty (80) National Environmental & Climate Justice Organizations Pledge to Defend Striking Workers on May Day
Sierra Club, Greenpeace, and dozens of others to support massive labor, immigrant rights demonstrations around the country on May 1st
April 26th 2017
Brooke Anderson, Climate Workers
510-846-0766, [email protected]
On a press conference call this Friday, April 28th at 9am PST, directors of major national environmental and climate justice organizations from around the country will:
- discuss their support for protests planned for International Workers Day (“May Day”) on May 1st, 2017
- call on employers NOT to retaliate against workers who choose to go on strike
- pledge to defend workers who face retaliation
They will be joined on the call by leaders and members of SEIU United Services Workers West, which represents 45,000 service workers throughout California, many of whom are participating in May Day by not working.
The letter – signed by 80+ environmental and climate justice organizations – reads, in part:
“As environmental and climate justice organizations, we support workers who choose to walk off their jobs on May 1st because we know that the fight to protect land, water, air and soil is inseparable from the fight to protect the life and dignity of workers, migrants, and communities of color. To workers participating in protests on May 1st, we say: ‘Thank you. You deserve better. And we’ve got your back.’”
Read the full letter and see the list of signatories at http://www.climateworkers.org/?p=214
WHAT: Press conference call with environmental and climate justice leaders on May Day statement.
WHEN: Friday, April 28th, at 9am PST
- Michael Brune, Sierra Club (Executive Director)
- Annie Leonard, Greenpeace (Executive Director)
- Angela Adrar, Climate Justice Alliance (Executive Director)
- Miya Yoshitani, Asian Pacific Environmental Network (Executive Director)
- Denise Solis, SEIU United Service Workers West (Vice President)
- Inmar Liborio, SEIU United Service Workers West (worker honoring May 1 general strike)
- Brooke Anderson, Climate Workers
CALL: Register for the call at http://bit.ly/2oMqhmu to receive the dial in information.